Edge Family Cemetery Association
History of the Edge Cemetery
The William B Edge family came to the Kendall County community of Curry's Creek in the early 1860's. W B Edge bought property and at one time owned over 4,000 acres.
Four years later, on September 21, 1877, W B Edge's eight-year-old son, Marlin, died and was buried about 160 feet east of the first grave.
One year later, on August 3, 1878, 22-year-old John Edge, W B Edge's second eldest son, died and was buried next to Marlin.
Seven and one-half years later, on March 7, 1886, Josah Ludolf, W B Edge's eldest child died at the age of 34 and was buried next to her daughter. Her husband was left to care for their five children, ages 4 months to 10 years.
Less than three years later, on January 23, 1889 twins, Claude and Maude, children of George and Paloma Edge died. They were 23 days old. George was W B Edge's third son. The twins were buried about 20 feet from Marlin Edge's grave.
Two years later, on January 19, 1891, W B Edge deeded five acres to Kendall County for the Curry's Creek Cemetery. The six graves are within its boundaries. Since that time over one hundred more persons have been buried in the cemetery, mostly descendents of W B Edge.
On November 12, 2002, after much work by Gordon Waldeck, a 2nd great grandson of W B Edge, Kendall County returned the cemetery to the Edge family. A non-profit corporation, The Edge Family Cemetery Association, maintains the cemetery. The board of directors is comprised of descendents of W B Edge. They are:
Gordon Waldeck, Hal Harwell, Richard Edge, Aleen Wagner, and Bruce Lawhon.
Each year family members gather for a cemetery cleanup. Information about the next cleanup is posted on the Cleanup page as soon as it is available.